Facelift and Mini Facelift Richmond VA
The Facelift procedure is a procedure to rejuvenate the aged face and neck. It removes excess skin, tightens underlying tissues and muscle, and re-drapes skin on the face and neck. It can correct midface sagging, marionette lines, jowls and excess skin of the neck. If the sagginess is not as severe, a Mini Facelift may be an option.
A Facelift or Mini Facelift may be right for you if:
- You feel your facial appearance does not reflect your youthful spirit and energy
- You determine that your facial sagging and excess skin is a social or career obstacle
- You show signs of facial aging but still have some skin elasticity
- You’re in good health and have realistic expectations
You might not be a good candidate for facelift surgery:
- A prior history of smoking increases the risk of dead skin. You may not be a candidate for a facelift due to your smoking history
- Your health and risk factors may exclude you from being a good candidate
Dr. Ferland is a board certified plastic surgeon and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). She performs both Mini and Full Facelift procedures.
In preparation for surgery:
- At least a month before surgery you must stop smoking and avoid all tobacco products including nicotine patches, gum and nicotine-containing e-cigarettes
- You must avoid aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS: Advil, Motrin, Aleve, diclofenac etc.) and vitamins or homeopathic regimens at least 2 weeks or longer before surgery as they can increase bleeding
- Dr. Ferland will see you in the office 2 weeks before surgery for your pre-operative visit at which time she will make sure you are fit for surgery, order the appropriate labs or EKG, write your prescriptions, review the plan for surgery and review each item on the informed consent so that you are well informed of the possible risks and complications. You will also be instructed on how to prepare yourself for surgery
If you are a candidate for a Mini Facelift Dr. Ferland may decide you are a good candidate for doing the procedure under local anesthetic in the office. It can also be done at the surgery center. Definitely a Full Facelift is performed as an outpatient at Henrico Doctor’s Hospital’s Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC). No matter which location you must arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for the next 1 to 2 days.
Examples of Procedural Steps:
- Dr. Ferland will draw on your face before the surgery
- The incisions are placed within the hairline and within natural contours in front and behind the ear
- The deep tissues are tightened to correct the sagginess. The excess skin is removed and the incisions closed. A drain might be placed under the skin
- Modified incisions include the ‘short scar’ for a Mini Facelift and longer scar for a Full Facelift
- After surgery, your face should look smoother, firmer and fresher
Immediately after the surgery you will be placed in a large cotton dressing. The first office visit after surgery will be between 1 and possibly 2 days after surgery. The large dressing is removed the day after surgery and then you will be placed in a compression garment likely with Biodermis silicone sponge on the posterior cheeks.
Recline, do not lie down, to help reduce swelling. Always keep your head elevated. Do not bend forward or over.
You may have discomfort after surgery which should be relieved with your pain medication. Your discomfort should decrease within 24 to 48 hours. If you have significant increase in discomfort after this period, or severe pain, call Dr. Ferland.
You will experience some bruising and swelling. These symptoms will peak within the first 24 to 48 hours after surgery and will gradually subside over the next 10 to 14 days. To minimize swelling, sleep with your head elevated for a couple of weeks after the surgery.
Your genes and skin quality are important factors in the longevity of your facelift. Your results should be long-lasting, although plastic surgery cannot stop the normal aging process and cannot reverse the damage and loss of elasticity which had already occurred.
Example of a Mini Facelift by Dr. Ferland: